Thursday, August 18, 2011

Caroline and the Broken Leg

So, Tuesday night we were eating dinner on the back patio.  We knew that Chad was leaving for a business trip Wednesday morning.  Maren said, "We need to do something really fun, since you are leaving."  As Chad and I finished eating, the kids all headed out to the trampoline.  We thought it would be great fun to join them.  Hmmm....it was great fun for awhile.   But, as we all know...big kids should not jump with little kids.  We bounced too hard and Caroline came down funny and started screaming.  At first I thought it was a sprained ankle, because her ankle was instantly swollen.  We took her inside and pulled up her jammie pants.  Her leg was displaced.  We gave her Tylenol and Ibuprofen and she and Chad headed over to Instacare.  They took her picture and this is what they saw:
Broken tibia and fibula in her left leg.  They sent her out the door with her picture, so that she could head up to Primary Children's Hospital.  Chad and Caroline came by to pick me up.  She was totally calm.  We left our other kids with our downstairs neighbors (Thanks Wiperi's!), and went on our way.

At Primary's we had to wait for a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon to come look at her. She was pretty nervous about being at the hospital, but as long as we held her hand and told her what was going on she stayed calm.  They decided that they would give her a conscious sedation and pain med through an IV so that they could set her leg.  I don't do needles or blood, so Chad took over with the hand holding.  Caroline was amazing.  They told her what was going to happen, how it would feel and what to expect.  She didn't even flinch when they inserted the IV. 



The doctor was really great.  He used an x-ray machine as he was setting her leg.  At one point she came out of the sedation and started crying about him pushing on her leg.  Fortunately, they could re-sedate her quickly and finish.  She was attached to several monitors and had an oxygen mask nearby in case of any strange reactions to the medication.  The doctor finished the splint right as she was coming out of the medication again. 
 She was hilarious.  She started talking nonstop about everything in sight.  She is definitely a talky drunk!  She loved the pink slushy the nurse gave her, although she couldn't determine the flavor.  We waited another hour while they worked out paperwork for us.  Next we loaded her into the car and then waited another 45 minutes while the hospital pharmacy filled her prescription.  It was a long night.  We got home at about 1:45 AM.  Chad still had to pack and be out the door by 6:30.  I am not sure if either of us got more than a couple hours of sleep!
I spent all yesterday morning figuring out doctors, insurance, wheelchairs and medications.  But, as you can see with three different pain medications (including narcotics) and a wheelchair she is feeling pretty good.  So now, we wait to see another doctor next Tuesday.  If her bones have stayed in place then we will not have to have surgery.  Once she has a hard cast, can potty herself and has a doctor's release, she can go to school.  She will have to be in the wheelchair for six weeks.  I am so grateful for the help that I have received.  My friend Sunnie brought enough dinner over to last us two nights.  My sister is buying the school supplies for my kids (since I can't leave Caroline to go do it).  My Mom is going to take Maren back to school shopping for me.  My parents came over so that I could go to SEP's and talk to the school about logistics for Caroline.  I have so much empathy for parents of children with special needs.  This has been very taxing and will continue to be, but only for 6 weeks.  After that, she should be as good as new.  We have been so blessed to have such healthy kids. 

So, Summer ends with a bang (or a crash)!

3 comments:

becca said...

Oh my GOODNESS! What an experience! I love how it has given you sympathy for parents with children with disabilities. You have such a cool family! I am praying the next 6 weeks aren't more adventurous than painful! We love you guys!

Thierry said...

This breaks my heart! She's such a trooper!
Let me know if I can do anything to help... anything at all!

carol said...

Wow, that's kind of a big deal! Sorry Caroline! Doesn't it seem like kids accidents are either right when school starts or just before a summer trip?! And always after hours or on a Week-end!